HANDLING OF COVID-19 CASES AND PROTECTION OF WORKERS
The pandemic caused by COVID-19 or Coronavirus Disease-19 has spread massively throughout the world including Indonesia. Based on data compiled from kompas.com up to April 29, 2020 the number of infections has reached 3.14 million cases. In Indonesia alone up to April 29, 2020 the number of infections has reached 9,771 cases.
Adjustments to worker/labor systems in offices were carried out in almost all fields of work in Indonesia, so on March 17, 2020, the Minister of Manpower Ida Fauziah issued a Circular Letter of the Minister of Manpower No. M/3/HK.04/III/2020 of 2020 concerning Protection for Manpower and Business Sustainability in Order to Prevent and Eradicate COVID-19 ("Ministerial Circular Letter"). This Ministerial Circular Letter was addressed to Governors throughout Indonesia and then forwarded to Regents/Mayors and related stakeholders in their respective regions.
In brief, this Ministerial Circular Letter discusses two important points, namely: prevention of the spread and handling of of COVID-19 cases in the work environment and wage protection for workers/laborers related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The following is a complete explanation of the contents of the Ministerial Circular Letter regarding COVID-19:
I. Striving to Prevent the Spread and Handling of COVID-19 Cases in the Work Environment
- Providing guidance and supervision for the implementation of laws and regulations in the field of Occupational Safety and Health.
- Disseminating information to all levels of the organization and related parties who are under the guidance and supervision of the Governor.
- Recording and reporting to the relevant agencies each case or suspected case of COVID-19 at work.
- Instructing every Company Leader to anticipate the spread of COVID-19 to workers/laborers by taking preventative measures such as clean and healthy lifestyle by integrating in the K3 program, empowering the Committee for Occupational Safety and Health and optimizing the function of occupational health services.
- Encouraging all Company Leaders to immediately make preparedness plans to face the COVID-19 pandemic with the aim of minimizing the risk of transmission at work and maintaining business sustainability.
- In the event that there are workers/laborers or entrepreneurs who are at risk, suspected or suffering illness due to COVID-19, then steps are taken according to health standards issued by the Ministry of Health.
II. Implementing Wage Protection for Workers/Laborers related to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- For workers/laborers categorized as Person Under Monitoring (PUI) related to COVID-19 based on the doctor's statement so that they cannot be at work for a maximum of 14 (fourteen) days or according to Ministry of Health standards, then the wages are paid in full.
- For workers/laborers who are categorized as COVID-19 suspects and are quarantined/isolated according to the doctor's statement, the wages will be paid in full during the quarantine/isolation period.
- For workers/laborers who do not come to work due to COVID-19 and proven by the doctor's statement, the wages are paid according to laws and regulations.
- For companies that conduct a temporary business reduction due to government policies in their respective regions for the prevention and control of COVID-19, so that some or all workers/laborers do not come to work, taking into account business sustainability, the changes in the amount and procedure of payment of wages for workers/laborers are carried out in accordance with the agreement between the employer and the worker/laborer.